Jump around, jump around, jump around-yeah! This week we listen to classic hip-hop, and classic hip-hop inspired, video game music! It gets funky, it gets heavy, and then it gets cheesey… oh boy it gets cheesey in places 🙂
We are joined by the talented producer and video game composer, 2 Mello! (2064 Read Only Memories, Celeste) He wanted to jump on our show and talk about the cross-over of video games into hip-hop, and sometimes vice-versa. We talk about the use of samples, old hardware, and our favorite Jet Set Radio characters.
Go out NOW and check out 2 Mello’s JSR-inspired album Memories of Tokyo-To!
- Humming the Bassline – Jet Set Radio – Dreamcast – Hideki Naganuma
- The Police Station – Revelations Persona – Playstation – Hidehito Aoki, Misaki Okibe, Kenichi Tsuchiya, Shoji Meguro
- Friday Brother (Club Court) – Street Slam (Dunk Dream/Street Hoop) – Neo Geo – Tatsuya Kiuchi
- Theme – Street Fighter III Third Strike – Arcade – Infinite and Hideki Okugawa
- The Roll & Bounce – de Blob 2 – Wii – John Guscott
- Theme of J.J. – Atsumare! Guru Guru Onsen – Dreamcast – Hideki Naganuma (my guess)
- Mirror Temple (Mirror Magic Mix) – 2 Mello
- Bathroom Rap – Parappa the Rapper – Playstation – Masaya Matsura
- Main Theme (Neo-SF Streets Mix) – Read Only Memories – PC – 2 Mello